Margot Lee Shetterly CV Oct 2013
MARGOT LEE SHETTERLY
US Mailing Address: …
Mex Address: …
US TEL: … • MEX TEL: …
Hidden Figures, narrative nonfiction work in progress. Hidden Figures is the untold history of the African-American women employed as Human Computers by NACA/NASA from the 1940s through the 1960s. (Represented by Charlotte Sheedy Literary Agency)
The Human Computers Project. Multimedia platform archiving the history of NACA-NACA’s African-American Human Computers and their significance in the context of the US Space Program, the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement and the struggle for Gender Equality. Collaborative work in progress with Prof. Duchess Harris of Macalester College.
SKILLS, ACHIEVEMENTS, RECOGNITION
• Expansion Magazine’s Entrepreneur of the Year Competition, Finalist (2009). Finalist for prestigious competition held by Mexico’s leading business journal. Nominated as a founder of Inside México Magazine
• Doing It For Ourselves (Donna Ballard, Putnam Berkeley 1997) Featured in book profiling outstanding women of color in finance and business
• Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program (1997). Awarded charter for completion of rigorous three-year course of study and examinations on topics related to corporate finance, investment, and portfolio management
• Profiled in major US & Mexican magazines and newspapers as an entrepreneur
• More than 15 years of experience working in start-up media and technology companies
• Robust financial modeling skills
• Superb oral, written, and presentation skills in English and Spanish, proficient oral and written French
• Member, American Historical Association.
• Alumnus, Alpha Kappa Alpha Business Fraternity
Turismo Internet SAPI de CV, President and Co-Founder, 6/2010- Present. Valle de Bravo, Mexico. Co-founder of media and consulting company that specializes in destination marketing, branding and online content. Company’s flagship product is Mexico Meetings Network (mexicomeetingsnetwork.com), the leading English language platform for Mexico’s meetings and conventions industry. Responsibilities include:
• Producing top-quality content designed to reach industry influencers and increase Mexico’s profile in the global meetings industry
• Developing and guiding online strategy, social media strategy, commercial products
• Generating market research and producing marketing and communications materials
• Generating advertising sales and managing client relationships
• Managing company’s social media strategy
• Overseeing development and maintenance of the MexicoMeetingsNetwork.com digital platform
• Negotiating and closing strategic partnership deals, including with Cvent, the global leader for meeting planner software
• Writing business plan and raising investment funding;
Editorial Manda SAPI de CV, President and Co-Founder, 6/2005 – 6/2009. Mexico City, Mexico.
Founder and executive at the publisher of Mexico’s most widely distributed multiplatform English language media products. Responsibilities included:
• Researching, writing and editing short and long-format articles for Inside Mexico Magazine
• Overseeing production and serving as Managing Editor though startup period (6/2005- 6/2007);
• Participating in Editorial Strategy Sessions
• Managing Digital Operations, including the development of Insidemex.com
• Managing the sales team across traditional and digital media products
• Developing the original look and feel of Inside Mexico magazine
• Generating market research and producing all marketing and communications materials
• Hiring start-up team
• Handling financial management and analysis, projections, investment and capital requirements, accounting, taxes
• Writing business plan and raising seed funding
Led company to double digit year over year advertising sales growth from 2007-2009;
Placed articles about Inside México in Los Angeles Times, Expansión, Poder y Negocios, Editor & Publisher, among other publications
Comet Systems (acquired by Miva Merchant in 2004), Director of Strategic Partnerships, 9/03 – 6/05. New York, NY. Business development executive at pioneering internet toolbar software company.
Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC), Freelance Journalist, 1/02-6/03. Filmed and produced features for acclaimed Canadian television program and website ZEDtv while on 14-country 16-month trip around the world.
HBO/Volume.com, Executive Producer and Director of Business Strategy. 12/00 – 11/01; Senior Programming Producer, 12/99-12/00. Producer, Business Channel, 11/99-12/99. New York, NY. Writer, producer and creative executive for HBO-funded youth oriented online magazine. Member of startup team that formed original vision and product strategy. Managed relationships with corporate sponsors such as Hewlett Packard.
WLIW Public Television, Project Manager, 2/99 – 10/99. New York, NY. Wrote and produced sponsorship spots for Public Television programs, including BBC World News.
The MoneyHunt Show, Producer and On-Air host, 4/97- 10/99. New York, NY.
Interviewed entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and venture capitalists on Public Television program showcasing fundraising efforts of startup ventures. Raised $350,000 in funds from ATT, PriceWaterhouseCooopers, Yahoo! and other corporate sponsors.
Freelance Financial Analyst. Provided financial modeling and analytical work on a freelance basis. Primary client was quantitative investment firm Berent Capital LLC.
Merrill Lynch and Co, Sr. Associate, Fixed Income Capital Markets, 8/92 – 4/96. New York, NY. Structured and marketed corporate bonds, preferred stock, derivatives, and other Fixed-Income products to Fortune-500 client base on Wall Street’s top capital-raising desk.
JP Morgan & Co., Junior Trader, 9/91-8/92. New York, NY. Made markets in spot Dollar-Swiss for one of the world’s largest money center banks. Graduated from Morgan Finance Program.
University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1991.
B.S. in Finance, coursework in French and Economics.
Undergraduate Distinctions: Echols Scholars Program, Nat’l Merit Commended & Nat’l
Achievement Scholar, University Achievement Scholar, Mobil Corporation Scholarship, IMP Society.